The Summer Camp is designed to help students from our global partners to intensify their Chinese language competence and performance within a short period of time, while extending and enriching their understanding of Chinese culture. Students who shall participate in this camp are undergraduate and postgraduate students from our global partners.
Number of Students and Placement
The number of students participating in the camp is expected between somewhere from 25 to 30. They shall be placed into elementary and secondary classes respectively based on their language competence and performance.
- Camp Period
The camp shall be run from Aug 10 to Aug 24, 2015.
- Camp Venue
The camp will be run on Zhuhai Campus SYSU.
- Camp Organizer
The summer camp will be organized by School of International Studies ,SYSU.
Students live on the beautiful Zhuhai campus and enjoy three meals at the Campus Canteen. Two participants will share a room. Meals on the excursion day will be arranged in the local restaurants.
- Major Activities at the Camp
The participants shall sit in three-session Chinese classes in the morning. Monday and Wednesday afternoon session is culture talks and Tuesday and Thursday afternoon session is featured with culture tour within Zhuhai city. Weekend tour within Guangdong Province will be arranged.
- Textbooks for Chinese Language Courses
For elementary class:
Liu, Xun. ed. New Practical Chinese Reader, Textbook, Vol.I. Beijing: Beijing Language University, 2002.
For secondary class:
Liu, Xun. ed. New Practical Chinese Reader, Textbook, Vol.III. Ed. Beijing: Beijing Language University, 2002.
Textbook of Introduction to Chinese Culture Course will be compiled by the instructors.
- Course Schedule
|A.M.||8:50-9:30||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Week 1: Kaiping Tour|
|9:45-10:25||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese|
|10:35-11:15||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese||Integrated Chinese|
|P.M||14:30-15:10||Aspects of Chinese Culture||Week 1: City Tour: Tangjia Town||Aspects of Chinese Culture||Week 1: City Tour- New Summer Palace||Cultural Feature : Sing a Chinese song||Week 2: Guangzhou Tour|
|15:15-15:55||Aspects of Chinese Culture||Week 2: City Tour : Lianhua Street||Aspects of Chinese Culture||Week 2: Culture Activity- Chinese Games|
- Tangjia is one of the most famous towns in modern Chinese history. It sent out the first bunch of students to study overseas and accommodated political pioneer in the reign of Republic of China. The Tangjia tour will include a tour to the well-preserved Lingnan-style village and garden.
- Lianhua Street is a pedestrian business street close to the Zhuhai-Macau customs. The visit would give the participants a general picture about Chinese City pedestrian business street.
- New Summer Palace is a reconstruction of ruined Chinese garden. The visit would let the participants have a general understanding about Chinese architecture.\
- The cultural activities “Chinese cooking” and “Chinese Games” are designed to teach the participants how to cook simple Chinese food and play Chinese games.
- Guangzhou is the capital city of Guangdong Province and the third largest city in China. The weekend Guangzhou tour includes visits to the main cultural highlights of the city, including temples, churches,and local architecture and markets.
- The weekend Kaiping Tour will bring the students to one of the most famous UNESCO cultural heritage, the cluster of Diaolou architecture, which epitomes the history of ethnic Chinese abroad.
- Camp Expenses: School of International Studies at Sun Yat-sen University shall be responsible for all the cost arising from teaching activities as well as students’ board, lodging and travel expenditure within Guangdong Province on weekends.
- Participants shall pay for their own international air fare.
- Individual participants are responsible for paying their own medical expenses including medical and travel insurance and any out-of-pocket expenses incurred during the program.