The University and the School
Founded by Dr. Sun Yat-sen in 1924, Sun Yat-sen University (SYSU) is a preeminent academic and cultural center and a premier base for talent development in South China.
In 2005, the School of International Studies (SIS) was established on the Zhuhai Campus of SYSU. Currently, SIS has a total teaching staff of 60, including 20 international teachers. It offers programs of English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian and Korean at undergraduate level and minor courses of English, Spanish, Arabic, Russian, Korean, German, French, Japanese and Portuguese. SIS also offers two graduate programs, i.e. Master of Translation and Interpreting (MTI) and Master of Linguistics and Applied Linguistics (MA).
To meet the needs of educational development and achieve the strategic goal of becoming a world-class university, SYSU started the “100 Top Talents Program” in May 2012.
SIS plans to recruit 8 candidates for the “100 Top Talents Program (Phase II)” in 2017. Their research fields should be among the following: English Language and Literature, Spanish Language and Literature, Arabic Language and Literature, Russian Language and Literature, Korean Language and Literature, Linguistics, Literature and Cultural Studies, Translation Studies, and National and Regional Studies.
The candidates should respect academic ethics. Dedication to work, good team spirit and communication skills in international cooperation and exchange are also essentials. They should be capable of teaching fundamental courses or core curriculum courses of first-level disciplines for undergraduates. Meanwhile, the candidates should fit in one of the following two types:
Type One Urgently Needed Talents
1. Leading Talents: scholars who have made significant achievements in their academic fields and have an established reputation both at home and abroad.
2. Outstanding Young Talents (Category I and II): young scholars generally under 38 years old (40 for liberal arts scholars) who possess clear research orientation, are highly capable of conducing independent research, have considerable work experience and achievements, and great development potential. Academic experience studying or working in first-class universities at home and abroad is a must. They also must have published professional papers in top academic journals or have achieved universally-recognized scientific research results.
- Basic Requirements and Research Achievements Evaluation for Candidates of Outstanding Young Talents (Category I)
Candidates should meet the requirements of the “Thousand Talents Plan” of the Organization Department of the Central Committee of the CPC as well as the following scientific research requirements:
In the field of Humanities and Social Sciences, the candidates have published papers as the lead author (the first author or corresponding author) in SSCI journals with an Impact Factor in the top 1% or in Social Sciences in China; or have published, as the first author, academic works awarded the First Prize of Outstanding Achievements Award (Humanities and Social Sciences) of Higher Education Institutions by the Ministry of Education;
Or, the candidates have produced papers, monographs or other achievements which have been reviewed and appraised as having particularly prominent academic influence by international peer experts commissioned by the University.
- Basic Requirements and Research Achievements Evaluation for Candidates of Outstanding Young Talents (Category II)：
In the field of Humanities and Social Sciences, candidates have published papers as the lead author (the first author or corresponding author) in SSCI journals with an Impact Factor in the top 1% or in Social Sciences in China; or have published, as the first author, academic works awarded the First Prize of Outstanding Achievements Award (Humanities and Social Sciences) of Higher Education Institutions by the Ministry of Education; or have published more than 5 consecutive high-quality papers as the lead author (first author or corresponding author) in well-recognized journals of his/her first-grade discipline (and inter-discipline); or have published monographs with significant international influence in the field.
Or, the candidates have published papers, monographs or other achievements which have been reviewed and appraised as having particularly prominent academic influence.
Type Two Short-supplied Talents
1. Discipline Leaders: academic leaders who are eligible for the Science Fund for Distinguished Young Scholars of National Natural Science Foundation of China and influential in Humanities and Social Sciences at home and abroad, or are associate professors from prestigious universities overseas.
2. Academic Leaders: scholars who possess significant academic attainments and have been working at prestigious domestic/overseas universities.
3. Excellent Young Scholars: young scholars with great potential.
Position, Remuneration and Other Benefits
For successful candidates, SYSU will offer:
1. positions of Professor (on contract basis) or Associate Professor (tenure track)
2. benefits including salary, social insurance, medical care, holidays, as well as relocation subsidy and housing subsidy (when eligible).
3. research start-up fund
4. and preferential policies in research and office conditions, team-building, graduate enrollment, relocation housing, spouse’s employment etc.
Please download and fill out the position-specific application form included in the attachment, and submit the following materials in electronic form to Mr. Lan (firstname.lastname@example.org):
1. Application form (application form for short-supplied talents or application form for urgently needed talents) 【required】
2. Three recommendation letters by distinguished scholars (they should not all work for Sun Yat-sen University) 【required】
3. Full text of five representative academic works 【required】
4. Credentials as head or a key member of major research programs 【required】
5. Certificates of diplomas and degrees 【required】
6. Academic CV, incumbency certification and other proofs of honors or awards 【suggested】
Address: School of International Studies, 10th F/L, Administrative Building, Sun Yat-sen University (Zhuhai Campus), Tangjia, Zhuhai City, Guangdong Province, China
Contact: Mr. Lan
March 20, 2017
School of International Studies, Sun Yat-sen University